
At the end of May Melanie went to overnight camp for the first time with her girl scout troop. We were very nervous leading up to the time she was going to go and she actually said several times she didn't want to go either. She was going to be in the woods, over an hour away and gone TWO nights! It is the longest she would have been away from us, and away from family where she gets pretty much her every demand met! :-) Anyway, her troop started making projects and preparing and she seemed to get more excited about going, although I could tell she was still nervous. I kind of pushed her to go, or at least encouraged her, but also wanted to let her know she didn't HAVE to go. Needless to say, we are glad she went, and I think she is too. It sounds like she ended up having a blast and I think there will be no problems with her wanting to go next year. This is what we wanted for her out of girl scouts. A bit of confidence, great memories and fun and hopefully some good relationships. I think she gained big in the confidence department. I wish I could have been there to see her during all her adventures, but I am so happy that, even though Mel is actually very reserved, she seemed to jump into it and really enjoy herself. Every kid needs that boost of
confidence. While there, Mel went
canoeing, slept in a cabin, hiked and played, made crafts and what she said she liked the most of all - a kind of long, high rope swing. (Thank you Julie for the awesome variety of pictures!)

Mel about to go swinging!

Being silly

Mel's troop
Canoeing!


Fun at camp!

(Not sure why some of these pics are so small - but you get the idea)

While Mel was at camp, it was just me and the boys for the weekend. We made a trip to the zoo, as John needed some train time - which he just sat the whole time quietly and took everything in. He seemed to really enjoy the animals too, but was a bit obsessed with wanting to join any animal that had a pool. He just didn't understand why he REALLY wouldn't want to swim with the polar bears! :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment