My goal before summer was over was to get to the coast at least one more time - and go when it was sunny! Well, I got my wish on Labor Day weekend. It was hot, hot and I was determined to see the waves. We just went for a day trip, but it was just perfect for us. We headed up to Seaside mid-morning. It was packed, but it's a good place for the kids - lots to do there - and we figured we would sneak away to Sunset Beach to play on the sand after lunch. Turns out that wasn't necessary. It just ended up being easier staying put. We had lunch and walked around a bit and then headed down to the water with our towels and sand toys. The sand was SOOO hot! I had never felt it that hot before. Have I just ALWAYS been to the coast when it's chilly? :-) It ended up just being glorious! We spent a few hours down on the sand, right near the waves. Moving our towels and buckets every little while as the tide came in. There was a huge pool like area where the water had gotten trapped and John loved that. It was nice and calm and a good opportunity for him to get used to the water. Mel of course, found some "friends" and was out in the thick of the water, jumping waves. We rested and played and built sand castles and water moats. It was a great time. It was hot and there were more people than I had ever seen there (except Spring Break or the 4th), but it was worth it. It was a restful, fun time, and I am so glad we went.

Oh and of course, if there is a train - we have to ride it at LEAST five times! :-)
After the beach, we had a low key rest of the weekend. We were trying to get the kids back to bed on time after a bit of leeway over the summer. The night before school we got Mel's outfit all picked out and painted her nails to match. On Tuesday morning, John and I walked Melanie to school for her first day. I CAN NOT believe I have a THIRD GRADER! It's insane! She was really excited to start school again though - and for that - I am ecstatic. Let's hope that lasts! Mel has the same teacher she had last year and all the same classmates. I love the concept and I am very happy she has Ms. Jay again. She's awesome. Cares about her students and their progress and goes above and beyond to make sure she is up to date on what's best for the kids and does all she can to get them extras they deserve. We are very lucky to have her. Especially with these times and all the cuts that are constantly happening.
We are in Week Two of school and NO HOMEWORK still for Mel. Lucky girl...it still feels a bit like summer with this nice weather and the kids still able to play for a bit after school. I can feel the crispness in the air though. I am ready for Fall I think. We are already on back to school routines, but it's nice to have the days with John. I have him signed up for a few mommy & me classes and really looking forward to that. Upcoming - On October 1st, we will be celebrating John's THIRD birthday and soon after Halloween! I think I am going to brave a kids Halloween party this year. It's something I've been wanting to do for a long time and scored some deals on some fun stuff, so I can't wait! Before we know it, the holidays - ekkk! I feel pretty prepared though. Trying to budget for the holidays and keep on track. I hope to have everything bought or made soon and then all we will have to worry about is the kids. My sister and her husband and my new neice will be here for Christmas from Illinois. I am so looking forward to a big family Christmas. It's been too long and we are all anxious for them all to be here.
I am still home - still looking for the perfect thing. Possibly, to keep me home - but with an income. We are still just kind of winging things and seeing how it all comes together. That makes me nervous as heck, but trying not to stress. Trying to just breathe and enjoy this time at home with my family. It's been hard at times, but also really good for all of us. It's funny how some things that seem so unattainable seem to work out better like that - hoping the trend continues and we can make our dreams come true.
No comments:
Post a Comment