Sunday, December 5, 2010

What A Feeling!

Finally - goal achieved! After my birthday this year, for some reason, I decided - I should run a 5K...For me, that would be an accomplishment. Being overweight has been a struggle for awhile, especially after having two kids, but around my birthday I tend to set these wacky goals for myself and this year I decided I would run - thinking it would aid in my weight loss. Running was something I have never done before. After my birthday I started on the treadmill and that first week I could barely run for 3 minutes at a time. By November I was running for almost 40 minutes (outside) and my longest distance without stopping was 2.7 miles. By the end of November I was a bit unsure if I would be able to do a whole 5K but I knew I had to try and that I would try my hardest not to give up. On Dec. 5th some of my friends joined me in my goal and I did it!!! I wanted to quit and walk several times but pushed through. Many thanks to Rachel who kept saying, We Can Do It! You are the best - thanks for being there with me :-)
After the run we all had a yummy brunch together. A perfect end...well almost...once I got home I walked in the door and Mark, Mel and John jumped out and surprised me with a cake, cider and a gift certificate for a pedicure, which Mark told me to go do NOW. Now, THAT'S a perfect ending! Thank you once again to some great friends, new and old, you being there encouraged me to continue and to show up. A 5K might not be much to some but for me it was a feat and who knows, I may just keep this up! :-)

Rachel and I pre-race

WE DID IT!!!!!

My awesome family with a wonderful surprise - Love You!

No comments: