On August 3rd, we lost our sweet girl, Babe. She had been sick for awhile, or at least not in the best of health and we were just trying to keep her comfortable, but knew that at any time, we would probably have to make a decision regarding keeping her alive or not. That decision was a hard one to make and one that we kind of just held off on unless it became apparent that we needed to make it. I think Babe was helping us make that decision easier last Friday. If you can call that decision easy. I woke up on Friday and she had been vomiting and was lethargic. I knew immediately she wasn't doing good. I called Mark's mom to watch the kids and I took her to the vet. My MIL said maybe she ate something and would be fine. When Babe wouldn't even get up though, I had my doubts. When we got Babe settled into the front seat of my car, she just curled up and she looked so comfortable. Riding in the car was one of her favorite things...I thought, ok, maybe...I got to the vet and she still wouldn't get up and I carried her in. I got her into the examination room and she just kind of laid down and if an animal can go pale - she did. The vet came in, looked at Babe for a few seconds and looked at me and I knew. I just burst into tears. I knew Mark would want to be there with his dog and the vet said he needed to get there quick. She may have internal bleeding and was hardly breathing, she was in high distress. I called Mark and could barely talk and he just knew and said he would be on his way. Thank goodness he was in Beaverton that day. I told Babe to wait and she did. Of course she did. I know our dog isn't a human, I have kids, of course, my kids are more important than anything, but our pets are also a part of our family. I have been a life long pet lover and although at times I don't give as much of myself to my pets as I would like - I have kids remember :-) - I feel for them, especially in times like those. An animal can be so helpless, like a child, and depends on us for so much. Deciding to end any thing's life is hard, especially your own pet. We knew it was time though. I am glad we were both there with her and with her until her last breath. I hope she knows we love her, that we took her in at an older age to give her that second chance. We knew having an older dog would mean a shorter time with her, but I am thankful for the time we had with her. What an adventure she gave us! She was a wacky dog that belonged with this wacky family! She fit in with us perfectly! Up until the night before, she was stealing John's cinnamon roll right out from under him and sneaking out the front door to go sniffing down the block. We love you Babe and we will miss you. Rest in Peace Sweet Girl.









No comments:
Post a Comment