Saturday, September 29, 2012

Summer to Fall

 Well, another summer is behind us.  And a great summer it was!  Melanie did more activities and camps than ever before and she kept super busy, but she seemed to love every minute of it.  After we came back from camping with my family, she went right to a week of horse back riding camp.  Her instructor treated the "camp" as a working and learning experience.  Even though Mel pulled weeds for a lot of the week and mucked out stalls, she had the best time and fell in love!  My mom and Mark's parents said they would send Mel for bi-weekly lessons and we have been working on getting her back out and learning and riding more.  She's a pretty lucky girl!


 We spent the rest of August enjoying the weather.  It has been beautiful!  Going to the park, going to the library, going to fountains and geocaching whenever we could.  We also went on TWO more unexpected trips to the coast!!!  At the end of August, Marks parents took us to Inn at Spanish Head for a quick overnight trip.  We fit in as much as we could and just enjoyed the time with yaya and papa.  In September, after school was back in, yaya and papa surprised us AGAIN and sent us on a two night stay to Seaside!  Have I mentioned, they are awesome? :-)   

 School started in September.  And Melanie started at a new school.  We transferred her finally, after contemplating it for the last few years.  We felt it was time and now or never.  Her new school is 100% different and we are SO glad we transferred her and just wish we had done it sooner.  But, you know, can't change that, so we are just jumping in with both feet from here.  She is already involved in their Lego Robotic program.  She has applied to join student council and now wants to join the Science Club.  The school is keeping us busy for sure, and there is already a lot upcoming, but we are loving it.  And best of all, Mel loves it!  Her transition has been smooth and she is making friends and connections.  Whew, sigh of relief!

 Since school has started, we are busier than ever.  I can't believe we are already gearing up for John's birthday and Halloween! Mel is very involved in school, her hobbies and friends and is still involved in Girl Scouts as well.  John grows more curious and active every day.  He isn't in preschool, but I have him signed up for some art classes and we are going to join our local pool.  I plan on breaking out more craft and learning projects for us to work on together as the weather gets colder, so I am looking forward to that.  He loves having play dates and I try and set those up as often as I can.  We are just so fortunate.  Sometimes I pinch myself! 

 I am still couponing and learning every day new ways and things to do to save us money - so we can afford to do the extras! :-)  AND keep our home running.  I love saving our family money, it has become a hobby and a challenge and I love that I am able to help where I can.  I love realizing I can use things around my home to use to clean and reuse so I dont have to buy supplies or even buy stuff in general.  That has been my latest challenge!
 
Mark even seems to be realizing that my efforts and time spent clipping and nagging about turning off lights behind you really does have its advantages.  Even tomorrow, he suggested that he will drop me off at Albertsons so I can use the Doublers before the shelf clearers get there and he will go to his parents with the kids for breakfast and when I am done, I will go join them.  What a help hubby!  I am just realizing that the sales and specials go in waves.  I was going full force for awhile and I got kind of burned out.  I took a break for a month or so and re-evaluated and jumped back in.  I am doing better than ever!  I realized I didn't need everything I saw that went on special.  I only buy what we actually need and will use.  I use coupons as much as I can and realize that household and personal items are where I get the most bang for my time and money.  When I grocery shop for staples, I buy at least two and when I am down to one item, it goes on my grocery list so I can keep an eye our for specials.  I have a brag worthy stockpile - makes me smile, but isn't out of control.  I love making recipes or even a weeks worth of recipes from what I have on hand.  I am making more and more from scratch and I double recipes so I have an extra meal done for later.  Then with that extra money from my saved grocery budget, we get to enjoy family outtings or to build up that saving account.  Great feeling!

 Speaking of saving - we generally get professional photos taken every year for the holidays.  Won't be happening this year.  I can take a good photo!  I have taken some of the ones on here to test myself out.  I want to get to our local, beautiful park soon for some more, but I don't think I am doing TOO bad of a job :-)





 This past week, Mark has been on vacation.  Oh, how I love when he is on vacation!  As I said, we headed to Seaside for a couple days and pretty much had the run of the town.  As usual, we crammed as much as we could into our trip, but it was still pretty low key.  We went to Astoria this time and went to the top of the column there.  Went to a park, looked for some geocaches.  We wanted to take the trolley ride, but...maybe next time.  We had dinner with my mom one evening and took a couple dips in the hotel pool.  Of course, we went on the carosaul and the train.  Discovered a cool shaved ice shop.  Mark's parents came on one of the days and met up with us for an afternoon.  We hit up the candy store and made it to the beach a couple times.  Tried for a family photo :-) and then headed home.  We needed to get Mel back to school, so the rest of the week, Mark, John and I just goofed off around home and did some projects as well.  We have actually crammed a ton into this past week!  The weather is still just BEAUTIFUL.  The leaves are starting to fall, but it is still in the 80s!  Mark was finally able to stain our fence and did some repairs and painting to the outside of the house.  Thank you hubby! 
 
Tomorrow we are having John's FOURTH birthday party and on Monday, my baby boy turns 4!  It is just shocking and it DOES go too fast.  I was looking at some videos of John when he was rolling over and walking and goodness, it sure is bitter sweet...
 
Tomorrow, we may also be adding a new member to our family - crossing our fingers!!!  Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Trisha White said...

Stacey: Good job catching us all up! Even though I already know so much of this, it's very interesting to hear your perspective. And YES, you are a photographer my dear!